Ensure that an epic cannot be closed until all its stories are closed
By now, you already know that regular workflow post functions run on transitions - that is, when an issue transitions from one status to another (for example, an issue transitions from OPEN to IN PROGRESS). However, what if important issue updates occur outside of status changes - without a transition taking place?
With Event-based Actions, you can run any of the JMWE post functions (or sequences of post functions) outside of Jira workflows. These actions can be triggered by:
- Issue field value change
- Issue commented
- Issue updated
- Issue deleted
- Attachment created/deleted
- Issue link added/deleted
- Work log created/updated/deleted
- Issue created
- Issue transitioned
For example, when a user updates an issue or modifies certain fields, it can trigger a rule to:
- Synchronize issues, i.e., copy content from parent issue to child;
- Perform calculations, i.e., instantly calculate the value of fields from other fields;
- Validate field changes, i.e., check the value of fields against the requirement and show guided messages to users;
- And so much more - here are some more ideas.
Keep in mind that even if you use Jira's built-in automation rules, you can still benefit greatly from using JMWE's Event-based Actions - see how you can shatter Jira's workflow limitations with JMWE.
See how easy it is to configure Event-based Actions
- How to automate this calculated field: Man hours * Hourly fee = Labor Cost (read-only)
- How to validate this input without a status change: "Man hours" field value should be less than 10
Last updated: 2023-02-01