Jira Misc Custom Fields (JMCF) lets you create calculated fields to expose Jira’s ‘hidden’ information – such as dates and authors of specific transitions or field changes – that is otherwise not easily accessible to users.
Here, we use the Transition Caller custom field type to display the person who resolved an issue (as an example). Using this custom field type, you can display, search for and report on the author of any transition based on actual transition IDs or between one, many, or all statuses. We cover the latter one in the above video.
For your convenience, the steps from the above video have been outlined below.
To configure any of the custom fields, just like any Jira workflow, you need to have Jira Admin permissions.
- To add a custom field, click on the “Administration” cogwheel at the top right corner. Select “Issues”.
- Click on the “Custom fields” link under FIELDS.
- Press the “Add custom field” button.
- Go to the “Advanced” tab, where you’ll find all JMCF custom fields.
- Scroll to (or search for) “Transition Caller Field (JMCF app)”, select it and press “Next”.
- Name your new field as you’d like it to be displayed on the screen. Press “Create”.
- Associate the field with the screens where you intend to display it, press “Update”.
- You can ignore the re-indexing message at this point. We’ll perform a re-index once the field is fully configured.
- Now that the field is created, you need to configure it by clicking on the appropriate cogwheel and selecting “configure”.
- Click on the “Edit Transition(s) to look for” link.
- On the “Configure Transitions” screen, select “Specify from and to Statuses“.
- You can also configure your field based on the actual transition names or IDs.
- Select “From Status(es)” and “To Status(es)“. In this example, let’s choose Any->Done, to show who resolved the issue. Press “Save“.
- Now that you are done configuring the field, let’s perform a re-index using the link provided in a pop-up and then pressing the “Re-index” button.
All done. You should now see this field on your issues/screens and you can also use it in searches and statistics.
Last updated: 2023-02-01