Save Time with Custom Reports in Jira
Product owners are familiar with the old saying, “if you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it.” It’s easier said than done—creating Jira reports manually every month, week (or even day!) yoked to Excel can significantly sour overall productivity.
Jira is an incredible tool for project management and development. But if you’re not using the apps that make reporting a breeze, you’re missing one of the most powerful pieces of the project tracking puzzle—and putting your project timelines at considerable risk.
One app leading tech professionals use to save time and up the quality of their reporting is Power Dashboards, Reports & Gadgets. This highly rated Jira plugin helps teams create complex custom reports that eliminate the frustrating time drain of report creation:
- A library packed with templates: Power Dashboards offers up line charts, pie charts, bar charts, and more so you can find the visuals that best suit the preferences of your management team.
- Automated health reports: Jumpstart your reporting tools with years of Jira expertise. Custom health reports can alert you to instance issues and other roadblocks before they snowball into delivery delays or cost overruns.
- Tie in data from external sources: Third-party apps and external databases are loaded with insight that can affect the accuracy of your reports. Manually combining all of this information can frustrate even the most experienced project manager. With Power Dashboards, you can easily use SIL to integrate data from external sources into Jira reporting.
Power Dashboards for Jira is a top pick for organizations that rely on citizen developers—team members that are not programming-savvy can create custom charts and tables that are otherwise reserved for coding experts. Instead of wasting hours every week assembling data piece by piece into a usable report, Power Dashboards helps you build powerful yet easy-to-use automated reports in less time. It’s readily available in the Atlassian Marketplace, and you can be up and running with a few easy steps.
Step one: Configuring SIL Reporting Gadget
No need to wade through complex programming languages; it’s all done with SIL. You can update a few fields and personalize a stunning template with your own project data.
- Add the SIL Reporting Gadget to your dashboard by clicking Add new gadget.
- Once there, click Load all gadgets.
- Find SIL Reporting Gadget and add.
- Select the appropriate SIL script file.
- Add the values for the parameters.
- The parameters will pass through the app, and voila! You’re ready to create your first report.
Here’s how you can get started with four easy report styles.
The top 4 report styles available in Power Dashboards
Power Dashboards includes several types of charts that management teams love. A few popular Chart Reports include:
- Issues in Status
- Time in Status
- Time Series of Revenue for a Project
With Chart Reports in Power Dashboards, you’ll show up to your next meeting or scrum fully prepared with easy-to-understand visuals that expertly communicate project status.
Using SIL, you can easily compile your data into a Table Report. Jira pros use these popular tables to get the most out of their reporting:
- Opened vs. Resolved Issues
You can easily transpose the orientation of your table or access popular calculations like sum or average.
Here’s where you can name more complex parameters to create the custom report of your dreams. Power Dashboards is packed with stunning HTML report templates. With a few lines of SIL, you can display your data using powerful, colorful, and organized visual aids. Jira users turn to HTML reports to showcase information in a user-friendly manner:
- Open vs. Closed Issues
When a standard chart or table just won’t do, HTML reports are a great way to share your project’s most important metrics.
Health Reports are one of the most powerful, time-saving tools available in Power Dashboards. These reports are your new Jira right-hand man. They’re infused with a wealth of consulting experience to provide you with a full system diagnostic of your Jira instance.
There are four types available:
- Agile Health Report: Review your team’s efficiency by checking into metrics like orphaned issues and aging issues. You can easily identify roadblocks and identify any loose ends.
- System Health Report: Is Jira running a bit slow? Use this report to diagnose speed issues like space availability, connection settings, or cluster times.
- Project Admin Health Report: This project audit highlights the number of current issues, their status, and who has access to each.
- Administration Health Report: The Atlassian Marketplace is loaded with top-notch apps, and it’s easy to lose track of them. This health report provides a quick review of all plugins you’re currently using so you can remove duplicates or apps you’re no longer using. It not only increases Jira speed but can save you significant money over the long run.
While this data is available to any Jira user, it can take days or weeks to comb manually through the inner workings to identify pressing issues. By the time you’ve finished the process, minor issues have snowballed into significant problems.
Not with automated Health Reports. These checks can run in mere minutes, exponentially increasing your likelihood of catching trouble before it’s too late.
Project reports not only help track and analyze your team’s effectiveness but help showcase your wins and challenges for management and other important stakeholders. With Power Dashboards, Reports & Gadgets for Jira, you can quickly create custom reports in Jira that simplify project management.
Last updated: 2023-07-31