If you are a manager, you often manage your team’s work. Imagine your team was assigned a creative project. You have prepared a Creative Document containing details of the project and have uploaded it in a Jira issue.
You have also created sub-tasks for each team member to work on. To ensure that all team members are aware of the details of the project, you would like to attach this Creative Document in all sub-tasks.
In the above video, we show you how JSU will save you time and effort from manually uploading the document in each sub-task. All you need to do is configure the JSU post-function “Copy/Move attachments.” It will copy the document from the parent issue to your team’s sub-tasks.
This video was recorded using Jira Server. However, a similar use case can be done in Jira Cloud and Jira Data Center.
For your convenience, the steps from the above video have been outlined below.
- On the left side menu, go to project settings and choose the option Workflows. Then, click the edit button to edit your workflow on the right-hand side. In this case, we will configure the post-function on the “in progress” transition. Move to the post-functions tab, click to add post-function, and then select the “Copy/Move attachments” post-function from the menu
- Choose the Parent/Sub-task relation since you want the post-function to perform when the parent issue is transitioned and the attachments are copied on the sub-tasks. Select the “always copy attachments” option from the drop-down menu of the configuration to have all the attachments you will add during the transition on the transition screen copied through to the sub-tasks. In this drop-down, you have the option to select a field of your parent issue to have a value for the attachments to be copied to the sub-tasks. By configuring this, the attachments added on the transition screen will only be copied to the sub-tasks if that field has a value. Follow the same steps if you want the attachments that existed in your parent issue before the transition started to be copied through too. At the end of the page, click the add button to add your post-function. Do not forget to publish your workflow.
- Now, go to your issue and create sub-tasks for your team members. At this stage, you will need to assign a transition screen to the “in progress” transition to enable the rule you have configured in your post-function “copy/Move attachments added during the transition.” Configuring screens is a functionality offered by Jira out of the box, and here is a quick way of doing it for this case.
- Turn your parent issue in progress and upload the creative document on the transition screen you created. Refresh and see what you have achieved with JSU! Open your sub-tasks and check your attachments. The document is there, and now the whole team can start working without going back and forth to the parent issue.
- Note: Make sure you edit the project’s attachment permissions to be able to copy/move attachments.
Last updated: 2023-01-24